We double tooled and took a short trek to Chapel Street.
The explanation and demonstration made sense. Using the tools on-hand made sense.
I like sense. I like adaptation, too.
Teams spread down the sidewalks searching for X marks and O marks, and root-bagged trees that weren’t rejectedly rolled into the street.
There we were; three chicks with sticks staring at an off-center X over a shallow-welled median with a spade and a square, a spade and a rake, a spade and a pick-ax, a tree and a plan.
Fresh from a mini tutorial, feeling feisty, we set about it.
We measured and consulted, measured some more, got a rhythm going.
After a while, there two piles of dirt, a pile of skimmed grass, and a hole.
The hole wasn’t exactly round. We fixed that.
The hole was a little too deep. We fixed that.
The ball was a little too heavy for advised two rollers, so we used three to get it going and in.
We eyeball straightened our charge (assumed a tulip tree by the botanical tag “tulipifera”) from three directions.
Lacking a knife to break the binds, we waited, short-shoveling handfuls of soft soil in and around to perfect stance while assuring our homeowner we were enjoying ourselves, and it wasn’t as hard as it seemed.
Root bag ripped, unrecyclables corralled, wires de-bent, we ran into a problem. Everything was fine, until exposure. Then, suddenly, it might be all wrong, or it might still be right.
Lopsided, rooted more heavily on one side than the other, not knowing which three-fingers-below measure was true.
There were two knuckles; one previously hidden in burlap garb, angled slight degrees from the one we had been focused on.
Stem straight, angled roots uneven in a way that wouldn’t promote stability. Rocking the sapling in favor of rooting, the stem was oddly askew.
That’s when we learned something new. The tree and the root were established together post graft. Combining the best of both, strong roots, tall tree, for immediate success and future longevity.
Consultants called. Though our true root was a slight inch higher than preferred, no retraction was required. Adaptation meant lightly packed stability soil up a little higher, and cautiously tamping air-pocket caverns where water could possibly pool and encourage rot.
We raised our berm a little higher, for better protection, and watered away from the roots. When we were finished, it passed muster, earning a blue sleeve of advertorial protection.
And that was it; about three hours later, including stand-up breakfast pastries and coffee, finding the right Zone assignment, name tags, gift bags, tool toting, street scouring, instruction, demonstration and the command to go to it. We’d done what we’d set out to do, added our imprint as one group of three in a group of One Brick Volunteers planting one tree among 120 goaled.
My best guess is that it took nearly 200 people from many different community groups, instructors teaching, volunteers planting, and forestry-minded reviewing to reach that goal.
While that might seem impressive, it’s a drop in the bucket compared to the 500,000 trees lost during a three decade Dutch Elm blight from 1950-1980.
Since 1989, The Greening of Detroit has orchestrated placement and replacement of 85,000 trees. Mathematically, that’s still a significant environmental shortage.
There are still at least dozen upcoming The Greening of Detroit events, and there’s room for you, too.
It all adds up. Make a difference in Detroit.
Quote for the Week:
Enjoy this Week’s Discovery Links:
The Greening of Detroit: http://www.greeningofdetroit.com/get-involved/volunteer/
Urban Forests: https://www.americanforests.org/conservation-programs/urban-forests/
Top 22 benefits of trees: https://www.treepeople.org/resources/tree-benefits
#OneBrickDetroit @GreeningDetroit #SocialForestry